Tartan and kilt talk and workshop & wee guided tour in Edinburgh Old Town
Get the full Edinburgh crafts experience
If you cannot choose between a private guided tour, and a talk and workshop, choose both!
This experience is the most comprehensive of our offer.
This experience will start with a private talk and workshop in a 17th century building in Edinburgh Old town, and will be followed by a guided tour, focused on Scottish crafts and ethical shopping.
My partner Jonathan and I are the only French kiltmakers traditionally trained in Scotland and we would love to share our passion with you. During the talk and workshop, I will present to you the History of Highland dress and tartan in Scotland, from the Feileadh-mor (great kilt) depicted in Outlander, to contemporary tailored kilts. I will talk you through the evolution of the kiltmaking industry, and how it ended up being added to the Red List of Endangered crafts in 2021, and what we try to achieve through our practice to be part of preserving this precious craft.
You will also learn about the main steps of crafting a high quality handmade kilt. After showing you the basics of pleating tartan, a crucial and rather complicated step of the making process, you will have a chance to try it yourself, and discover the endless possibilities offered by Scottish tartans.
Wee guided tour:
In the many high street and tourist shops of the capital, it’s often hard to tell the difference between genuine “Made in Scotland” products, and goods imported from the other side of the world and “finished” locally…
100% Scottish craft does exist, and Edinburgh welcomes some of the finest makers and artisans of the country, as well as plenty of independent shops offering locally made products or quality second-hand fashion.
Follow me on this guided tour, and I will take you to local artisans, textile designers and makers, and indie shops celebrating locally made products, carefully selected according to your own interests.
On the way, I will share with you some of Edinburgh’s History and less known stories about the Old Town.
Private tour and workshop for a group of up to 6 people*.
Location : Edinburgh Old Town (tour), and a Historic building (workshop)
Price: From £290
Includes a tea and coffee break during the tour, and a handmade Atelier Escapade gift per person
* Larger groups can be accomodated, though different rates and conditions will apply depending on the size of the group.
Book your private talk and workshop:
- Fill in the form
- Give me as many details as possible. For example:
– Your travels dates and plans in Scotland
– Your preferred date and time for the experience
– Any particular needs or questions…
- I will get back to you within a few days, to either confirm my availability, or offer an alternative date if possible
- When we have agreed on a date, I will send you a link to finalise your private tour or workshop booking
- Once the booking is secured, you will receive a confirmation email and details regarding your experience (date, meeting place…)
- On the day of the guided tour or workshop, I will meet you for your private guided tour or workshop 🙂
The benefits of our guided tours and workshops:
- All of my guided tours, talks and workshops are private. I will be fully dedicated to your group.
- Please contact me by email or phone to discuss tailoring your experience
- Each of my guided tours or talks includes a tea and coffee break.
- Each booking for a guided tour or talk includes a wee handmade Atelier Escapades gift per person.
- If you wish to buy products from the shop, I will personally deliver your order to you on the day of our guided tour or talk.
The price of our booking includes:
- The salary and travel expenses of your tour guide
- The hire of a room in a 17th century building in Edinburgh Old Town (for any experience including a talk and workshop)
- A tea and coffee break during your experience
- A wee handmade Atelier Escapades gift per person
- Business expenses and taxes
Additional terms and conditions:
- Visitors’s age : Children are welcome to join. However, we advise that the content of our tours and workshops will be more profitable to children aged 12 and older.
– Walking tours : Please be aware that my walking tours mostly take place in Edinburgh Old Town, in cobblestone streets. Stairs can be avoided, but we advise you to wear suitable shoes.
– Talks and workshops : Our workshops are held on the 1st floor of a historic building that unfortunately does not have a lift. But please, let us know if you require one prior to booking, and I will try and arrange to conduct the workshop in a different, more accessible location.
- Modification and cancellation policy:
– Modifications: I can accept modifications (time, date, type of experience) of our guided tours and workshops up to 72h prior to the start of the experience. However, please note that this is subject to guide and venue availability.
– Cancellation : Our visits and workshops can be cancelled and fully refund up to 1 week before the day of the experience. After that time, you will be charged 30% of the amount. From 72h prior to the experience, the full amount of the experience will be charged. In any case, if you need to modify or cancel your booking, please reach out as soon as possible.
- Covid-19 :
I take everyone’s health and safety very seriously and will always follow the regulations and guidelines of the Scottish governement. I kindly ask in return that our customers follow them as well. I will email you the current regulations in place shortly before your visit, as they might evolve with time. If you have any concerns or questions regarding these matters, always feel free to reach out!